Saturday, June 13, 2009

Broken legs & CT Scans

Over a month or so ago Cooper was jumping on the trampoline with Sammy and jumped just so that it "tweaked" his leg. He acted so much like Sydney did when she broke her leg that I thought for sure he had broken it too. We waited through the night and took him for an x-ray the following morning- The x-ray didn't show a fracture but he nursed his leg for a good week in a half after that. For days he wouldn't walk on it and then he started crawling and then eventually limping and then finally walking on it. Needless to say we were very relieved he didn't break it. And of course it has taken me over a month to add this blog entry to admit that once again I almost had another child break their leg on the trampoline....(the funny thing is no one has ever actually fallen off of it they jump just right to hurt it!)
But I am blogging about these things for 3 reasons:

A) To remember them- yes I ACTUALLY want to remember that when I thought things couldn't get any more challenging they can
B) To remember that things aren't really that bad and help me put life into perspective and finally
C) to have it written down so the one day my kids ask me "did I ever break my leg?" I can pull out a story about it.

Now back to the admitting and omitting-
The morning of Sammy's last field trip of the year they were going to the zoo and all of my kids were ecstatic to go- they had gotten up an hour earlier then normal just to be ready to go- We are eating breakfast- Cooper is sitting (okay standing) on a bar stool because he absolutely refuses to sit in a booster seat or high chair and falls smack dab on his head. He gets a big old bruise on his head and starts acting a little funny- sleepy, lethargic and and all he wants me to do is hold him. I keep thinking "no we are going to the zoo you have to be okay" - We finish getting dressed and ready for the zoo and 10 mins. before we are supposed to leave he throws up all over my bed. Now I am panicked thinking for sure he has a concussion so he has to go to the doctor but what about my Sammy waiting for us to meet her at the zoo and I am going to have some serious ranting and raving from the other two waiting to go see the animals. Frantically I call my gracious, awesome wonderful neighbor and ask her to take my other two to the zoo and explain to Sammy why I can't be there. She of course is awesome about it and quickly gets Tyson and Sydney.
We make it to our local urgent care- they check him out say he needs a cat scan- send me to the hospital- I wait for 45 mins (when supposedly they could get me in right now) with a 16 month old who by now is running around looking totally normal (well of course besides the big bruise on his head). Finally they call me back to get the CT scan and as we are putting him on the table and he is screaming at the top of his lungs they lady asks me " do you think he would go to sleep we need him to be really still?" I almost started laughing not only because he needs to be still but because she wants to know if he will go to sleep. Uh No not gonna happen is what I was thinking but instead I said "strap him in and get him scanned". He cried so hard he was dripping sweat and the I couldn't even be in the room because I was pregnant so he had some scary lady trying to sing songs to him when he doesn't even like to be sang to. (But stars to the nurse for trying)
In the end I pick up a sweat drenched little guy take him back to community care and they tell me the CT scan was clear and he should be fine.
After 3 hours between urgent care and the hospital I make it home to my 3 other little kids with 2 very excited kids that got to go to the zoo and 1- 1/2 sad 1/2 happy oldest girl because she got to go to the zoo but her mom didn't make it.

Couple of things we learned....sometimes you have to choose between kids.....I just hope Sammy isn't always taking the brunt of those choices.......Cooper has decided his high chair isn't too bad and will sit in it but this experience has not cured him of his climbing. He is still a monkey. And last but not least we survived and that is all that matters. :)

3 comments:

Lesa, Keith, Taylor, Megan and Kevin, Katelyn said...

I'm glad Cooper is ok and that everyone else is getting better too! Lesa

Michelle said...

Sounds like my husband!! Sorry this last month has been so rough! The ER is never fun.

Michele Mendenhall said...

Wow! I am glad everyone is doing better. You are lucky to have such great neighbors to help. Wish we were closer to help.