Today what I am thankful for is two-part. I got my November Ensign filled will all the General Conference talks and I have been reading through it. This General Conference had some excellent talks and more then a few spoke to me. That very rarely happens mostly due to the fact that I have distractions around me and I don't take the time to really listen.
Four of my favorite talks were:
Elder Worthlin: "Come what may, and love it"
Elder Holland: "The Ministry of Angels"
Elder Bednar: "Pray Always"
President Monson: "Finding Joy in the Journey"
It is a toss up to which is my very favorite I loved loved "Come what may, and love it," but as I was listening to the Sunday morning session and President Monson spoke I felt like he was really talking to me. All of my daily activities are revolved around my kids - get them to school, feed them, clothe them, do their laundry etc. but are my activities involved with my kids. I have heard countless times "enjoy this time it goes fast" or "just love them they grow up faster then you think" but hearing President Monson say it flipped a switch in my brain.
"Rather then dwelling on the past, we should make the most of today, of the hear and now, doing all we can to provide pleasant memories for the future.
If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will-to your surprise-miss them profoundly." President Monson
So take a break and play hide and go seek when the house is filthy or sometimes have grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner or read a book or color with your kids when your laundry needs to be folded.
Part 2:
There is very rarely any one on one time with each individual child in our house. If you get one you get them all or at least two at a time. Once in a while only one will opt to go to the store with me but even then I am focused on the task of shopping instead of one on one time. As it goes I really need to plan some one on one time but is just doesn't happen. The last week or so Tyson has been having a hard time going to sleep at night. I am pretty sure he is growing out of his naps but I am having a hard time letting him be done with them. After being in his bed for a good 20 mins. he ventures out and says, " I awake mom" (without his binky and blankie which means buisness because he is willing to give those up to stay awake). He brings me his Dora book and we sit and read it. I have read the Dora book 50x's and can't stand it but he loves it. It was so worth sitting with him for 15 mins and reading his favorite book without any other child talking over him or trying see the pictures faster then him.
Sammy woke up at 10:00pm last night and I was watching a show in my bed she crawled up and cuddled with me. Normally I would have quickly walked her down and put her back to bed or scolded her and gotten back to my show.
Instead I turned the TV off and sat and rubbed her head and we talked for a little bit as I sat there I could not remember the last time I had done that. I hug her all the time and give her a love on the go but how often do I sit and really take some time with her. Last night was a moment. I am thankful for great church leaders to lead and guide us and I am grateful for the spirit that helps us be in tune with what our families and others around us need.
Find some Joy in your Journey!
3 comments:
That was so sweet, thanks for sharing that.
Wow! That is so true. I seriously need a box of Kleenex after reading that, and not one of my kids is home to hug (except Mason of course and he's asleep). Where are they when you need a hug??? You're awsome Jill! Thanks!
you're such a great Mommy, Jillian. And you make it look easy, like it comes so naturally to you. I lvoe how happy your children are. That's a product of a good mommy.
Post a Comment