Here is your oh so promised future entertaining posts....
Many of you that know me are aware that I haven't wanted a dog let alone a puppy....I don't like poop in the back yard, I don't like puppy biting, I hate potty training kids so dogs (although easier)is not something I want to do...and most of all I do not want to get up in the night for a puppy. I already get a limited amount of sleep and I love my children but in the middle of the night there are some "bad" words flying out of my mouth when I am up a lot. So can you imagine what it would be for a puppy. With all that said the big question is WHY?
And it comes down to the fact that ALL of the people in my little family have really big brown eyes that look and me and say "can we have a puppy?" and what do I say "okay".
Now that we have Rosco, Todd has been getting up in the night with him, the kids do the food and even help Dad clean up the poop. I have come to terms (almost) that I have a dog and I will be responsible and take care of it (refer the prior post of getting denied for previous pet adoption).
So with that being said....this is what happens this week.
Monday Rosco is acting funny and I notice he threw up outside in the yard- We watch him through the day and evening into the following morning- he is sleeping a lot and has diarrhea- so I decide to take him to the vet hoping I can at least kill two birds with one stone and get his 2ND set of shots while getting him checked out. While I am making the appointment the girls are telling me Tyson gave him lots of treats that is why he is sick...what? where was I when this was happening? (I know hiding in my happy place)
Oh great now I have to tell the vet that apparently my new puppy got extra treats from my 2 year old sometime when I was diligently doing something.
So I get to the appointment with ALL 4 children...yep I took them all. I kept telling myself I can do this we can all walk in together. I can carry Cooper and then Rosco can follow us all in. I didn't take into account that there might be other dogs....and I do NOT break up dog fights! Luckily one of the vet assistants comes out and escorts us all into the back room (just in case Rosco is contagious) where Sydney (thank goodness) carries Rosco in- We are a sight...3 little kids trailing behind with a baby carrier on my arm and one of the three kids (whom is 4) is carrying the puppy in.
I get in the room and the vet says, "wow you have got your hands full..... and whose idea was it to get the puppy? maybe the man who is not here!"(to todd's credit he did try to get there but could not leave work)
My face turns bright red and while smiling I say "I promise I am taking care of him."
Do you think he believed me?
Come to find out our puppy has parvo- a potentially deadly disease...that a large percentage die if not hospitalized....yep hospitalized. Every time the hospital word comes up bright green dollar signs show up in my head!
I try to not to show that I am too worried about the $$$$ and more for the puppies health by nonchalantly asking how much the cost of this is going to be and if I could take him home and treat him. The vet starts to tell me that if I take him home they will teach me how to lift his skin and stick a needle underneath to hydrate him a couple times a day.....I am pretty sure my face.... the sarcastic you want me to do what look said it all....I hold up my hand and said "stop I am not doing that he is staying here."
All the while my kids are running around a little tiny cramped room trying on plastic dog/cat helmets- ya know the ones that they use so they don't scratch their stitches or chew on sores. We all say goodbye to Rosco and out of all the children Sammy starts crying...bless her little heart the one that had just said "don't let Rosco touch me he stinks" is crying because we have to leave him at the vet. What a day!! After I got into my car and aired our my sweaty armpits because of nerves I went home and made dinner.
Now it is a 1 1/2 days later and Rosco is safe and sound at our house. He recovered miraculously quick and got to come home after one day. We think he is a trooper and must have to be to survive in the household of 4 children, a mother that doesn't know much about dogs (but is learning) and his biggest advocate dad that is gone all day.
P.S. we called the pet store that had the puppies at the fair and they are paying for the vet bill because he most likely contracted parvo from the fair with all the other puppies-
14 comments:
Hiya Jillian!!! Happy 29th! *Sigh* - I just left the 20s myself!!! I love your dog story...I am an avid absolutely-no-dogs-allowed mom and your story right here is just another reason to stay that way! Your kids are adorable and you look just like I remember you! Cute family!
yea, dogs aren't worth it. and we have one! you're a trooper jillian!
My favorite part of the story is that your kids were trying on the plastic dog head cones haha. We're glad Rosco survived because we kind of like dogs now :) And at least the pet store is footing the bill...
What an adventure! You should become an author -- you had me at the edge of my seat! Must be all of those vampire books --- anyway, even though it is a lot of work now I think once Rosco grows up a little bit you'll be so glad you have him. He'll be a great part of the family.
That is good to hear that the pet store is footing the bill.
We sure admire your good attitude and hard work!
Jill, you're amazing! I'm glad to hear that the puppy is OK. We can't wait to come and see you guys!
This needs to be published...
I am glad Costco is okay. I owe him one & I think I will hit Petsmart this week and buy him a gift. His illness has just validated the argument that we will never get a pet. Thanks for taking one for the team!
Classic post. Love it!
I am sorry to laugh at your expense, but that is a funny story. We put our dog, of 9 years, down last year. It is no fun at all. I loved having a dog, but there are no more allowed in my house now. I am totally with you when they start talking about the hospital stay and thinking of the money. I am glad he is alive and doing well. Great story, thanks for the laughs I needed it today!
Crazy Story, nice you got the vet bill comped. Good thing Rocco is better now.
Karen you are supposed to laugh at my expense that is why I posted it....i gotta find the humor or else I will be crazy!!!
You are so funny!
He is cute.... I loved watching him pull himself up the step into the house. I raved about him to my non-dog-loving husband... he didn't budge on his stance of no dogs. Poor Ella and Gracie.
Too funny. I have been to the vet with 3 kids and it was bad enough I can't imagine doing it with 4. Why is that the armpits always have to sweat when the stress level goes up? I hate that! I'm glad he's better! I love your stories :)
Well, I completely understand vet bills. We just paid off a $800 dollar one and ended up having to put our dog to sleep anyway. Right after we got him though 5 years ago, he had to be hospitalized, it was NOT cheap! Good thing he is ok, and you are SOOOOOO lucky that the pet store is paying for it!
LOL at your armpits sweating! I had a flashback to Junior high (I think) when I told you about Certain Dri because you were so stressed that you always had pit stains!
Post a Comment