Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Dance Moms"

I never realized that "dance hair" doesn't just happen- I don't think I am a "dance mom"- meaning I don't know how to pull the hair up and use the hairspray and make all the curls and pin and tuck and make my girls sparkle like they are supposed to. (I guess that would come from the fact that I was never a dancer) This is the second year that the girls have had a dance recital and this year I remembered why last year I said I would never do it again. Because 30 minutes before we are supposed to be at the perfomance I am curling and spraying like a mad woman and I am being told by the girls that the dance costumes are itchy and all they care about is putting lipstick on- Even dad knew not to interfere with me because he just kept asking "what can I do to help".
So I have gone over and over again in my head do I have to be a "dance mom" to be a good mother? Other moms do it, other moms have 4 kids and still make it to the perfomance all in tack with hair pinned and their girls sparkly from head to toe..... so why can't I.
Then I sit down at the performance and watch my little girls stumble through the dance and do the "boogy woogy", dance off beat and turn the wrong way, smile, laugh and giggle. There hair is falling out and they have lipstick on the side of their cheeks. But it is okay- because what I realize is what makes me a "dance mom" is the fact that I get to be there and I am loving every minute of it. (but I cannot promise that we'll be doing dance next year)
Hat's off to all "dance moms" whether you're one like me or the one that can do the hair too.
Flowers from Dad!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a great dance mom! The girls look darling & I love that Todd got the girls flowers. Wish we lived closer so we could have come!

Kellie said...

hilarious, that is half the fun of dance recitals anyways, getting ready and stressing to make it on time. I remember all that stuff and I am glad my mom put the time in to be a 'dance mom'. Keep it up, your girls will love you for it.

Debbie said...

Your girls are so cute.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

I am glad you told me about the "dance mom"! I of course was no dancer either and Kiera's first recital is in a couple of weeks. How sad is it that before your post I wouldn't have really even thought about doing "extra" to the hair and lip stick none the less! :) Sounds like fun, but funny when you haven't really thought about it before! :)

The Sparks family said...

That is great! I don't have a dancer yet & like you I really don't care to have one. I am just trying to be a soccer mom and some of our Sat. mornings feel like your dance recital day. You are awesome!

Chalet said...

That was the sweetest post. You are a fantastic "dance mom". Way to go!!!!

Nicole said...

So cute! that's a good dance mom.

Hilary said...

Your girls are so, so pretty! They look so much like you! I am not a hair mom either... It is so hard! Glad the recital was fun!!

Jules said...

I'm not a good dance mom, either. I usually just throw Isabella's (unwashed) hair in a "fun bun" (where you just loop it through the band). No make-up for this one, although last time she did some herself.

Amanda said...

You have to blow this one up! SOOOO CUTE!