Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cravings!



I have some very strange pregnancy cravings. And they seem to be getting more distinct with each child I have well maybe that or it is just worse with my boys then with my girls. With Sydney I remember craving ice- I would order a drink at a drive-thru and "order a cup of ice with a little soda"- But with my boy pregnancies I want the ice and I chew it like crazy but it doesn't fulfill that strong craving I have. I really like the smell of dirt or brand new wood. I walk into a newly built house and almost (yes almost) want to take a bite out of the framed wood.
With Cooper I found that Clove helps curb that craving- Have you ever tried this Clove gum? (I have always liked it even pre-pregnancy) I searched high and low for this gum when I was pregnant with Cooper. Apparently they only make a batch of this gum every 5 years and this gum was no where to be found (there were some packs selling on eBay for an outrageous amount)! I even called the company- they informed me to check back in 2009.

I was so desperate for clove items I called the Necco company and asked if they would just make me packs of purple neccos (because in case you didn't know they are clove flavored and they said NO) - I would buy bags of spice drops and find the clove flavored ones and eat them and throw the rest out. I finally found Sarah's Candy Cottage- they sell clove flavored candy sticks. I would go in every 10 days or so and buy a handful of sticks to get me through the cravings. The lady at Sarah's called me her little pregnant friend. The first time I went in and bought a handful of sticks she asked me if I liked clove cigarettes -WHAT? clove cigarettes...she had assumed since I was pregnant I was trying to not to smoke my Clove cigarettes. So I looked back at all my conversations with candy companies with clove items and decided they thought I was a someone desperately trying to get off clove cigarettes....NOT some crazy pregnant lady with strange cravings. ( I can't decide which I would rather be)

So to try and keep my craving (whatever kind of craving you want to call it- Pica, iron deficiency, crazy, etc.) under control I currently eat some NEW clove candy drops from Sarah's candy cottage (the sticks aren't tasting as good anymore) , chew a lot of ice- (don't tell my dentist) and I eat Spinach Strawberry Salad w/ poppy seed dressing like three times a day. Sometimes I just go eat handfuls of spinach from the fridge.

BUT- the good news is this:

They are making CLOVE gum again and it is supposed to be available at the end of May on-line and I keep hounding Sarah's to get some ordered. So if you happen to see any Clove gum at any gas station or anywhere either buy it and send it to me or TELL me where. I would certainly appreciate it.

P.S. I went into Sarah's Candy cottage just a few weeks ago for the first time this pregnancy because I have had some other clove candy to control my urges up until now.....my little friend at Sarah's looked at me and laughed she said "you just had a baby and you having another one!"
Part of the reason I have been avoiding the store....I was secretly hoping she would forget me.....nope I am the crazy clove craving pregnant lady trying to ween myself from clove cigarettes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! You are such a great writer and yes You do have some crazy cravings. I heard on the radio that it is actually a condition that most pregnant women go through. Clove gum sounds horrible to me though!

Hilary said...

You are so funny! No wonder I like you so much! Clove is the weirdest thing to crave! I'll def. keep my eyes open for you though!

Steve and Katie said...

HA! I have always liked clove gum too! I will keep an eye out for you :)

Jennie said...

Man, I hate pregnancy cravings!! I'll keep a look out for the gum...I've loved that flavor since I can remember...who knew there would be a shortage?!? Good luck

M&M_Mama said...

YOU CRACK ME UP!! And now I know so much more about clove gum than I ever thought I would ever know. ha! I actually like the taste as well, but what an interesting pregnancy craving!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

That is too funny! I remember that strange tasting clove gum! ;) I will keep my eye out for you!

Anonymous said...

when I was IF this weekend I saw the clove gum at the Maverick on Woodruff accross from Smiths.

Adrianne said...

You're cravings bust me up! I will look for anything clove related and send it to you. Shoot, I should have looked while Todd was here. Maybe in the meantime I can send you a 2x4, a clod of dirt and some rocks?