Thursday, April 9, 2009

Ode to the Binky!

I know I know he is Three but you see....
the binky makes him so happy...
he goes to sleep at the drop of hat
and he stops whining when I stick it in the hatch.
But he is three so it is time to say goodbye
So long good friend it has been a good ride.
I told Tyson that on his birthday we were going to get rid of his binky because he was a big boy. I felt a little guilty taking it away on his birthday so the day after I geared up for the dirty job.
Tuesday came with a nap with the binky and I thought how am I going to give this up. But that night I had YW so Dad put him to bed WITHOUT the binky-
I knew I had to follow through- Wednesday morning came and so did the the whining and then there was some more whining and crying and nashing of teeth and he kept asking about his binky- just at breaking point I grabbed it out of the cupboard and cut the top off so I would not be tempted to give it back. I handed it to him and he sucked on it and said "oh it is broken, Rosco broke it"! So we threw it in the garbage.
Yesterday he asked about it a bazillion times, today he asked a few thousand so it is getting better- He has a hard time going to sleep- so there are NO naps anymore (or at least the last couple days) and he TALKS so much. But even in the last couple days it seems like he has grown up. Weird I know but it was almost like it was holding him back.
I know now the binky was my crutch and not his. If you asked me I might have let him have it until he is 10- somedays I am holding on by a thread and the binky is dangling at the end.
Lucky there is Dad around to be strong enough to take it away because not always the easiest things are the best.
It is nice to check off one more thing before the baby comes!
So truly goodbye my good friend- You will be missed.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I think Savanna would still take the binky if we hadn't taken it away from her!

Sabrina said...

Count your lucky stars that it's a binky and not a thumb...you can't cut the tips off thumbs, although I'd love to sometimes!

Valerie said...

Nice. Love the poem :)

Matt Zimmerman said...

Oh what a horrible thing to give up! I'm so proud of BOTH of you. Laughed at your cute poem and had to read it to Matt! Good luck.
-Kelsey (on Matt's blog!)

The Sniders said...

How sad. That melts my heart! Luckily I didn't have to deal with the binky but I did and still do with the bottle. 7 cavities later...

Anonymous said...

None of kids have ever liked a binky, there are times I wish they would have. Way to be strong. It was fun to run into you in IF. One of these days we'll have to have a little reunion in IF with those of us that live close!