Todd's birthday is this week- he has wanted a dog forever and although I am not sold on the idea (especially because all I need is another child to take care of) I have actually contemplated the idea to make him happy. He really likes the bassett hounds and he found a bassett hound/lab mix at the humane society. I wanted to surprise him so I got in contact with the lady that is adopting this little puppy over email. After a few interview emails--- with questions about our family, where the dog would stay, how I would feed it, if it would drink bottled water or tap, who my vet was, etc. -I was DENIED adoption. Okay at first I was relieved. Because I felt like I made an honest effort to adopt this dog and I really was willing to committ to having a puppy.And then I got to feeling a little offended. Because I was denied- not only denied but denied by the humane society (aren't they trying to get rid of dogs) this lady automatically assumed I was not responsible enough to take care of a puppy because I have four other children. She wrote back and said "what I find is that when a family has young children they don't have time to dedicate to a puppy." Wouldn't you think that if I already have four children "hey what's another" and if I can take care of children/babies you would think I could take care of a puppy.
Now in all honesty what the lady said is the exact reason that I don't want a puppy. Because I can barely handle getting up in the night for actual kids so if it was a dog I was waking up for I am pretty sure there would be swear words flying. As I said before there was relief from the denial. I think my pride was a little wounded to be denied because I am not responsible (come on I got the "I am responsible" badge in 6th grade). So in the end I am still looking for a birthday present for Todd.
But in closing Aunt Nicole brought her dog this last weekend and although she was really cute my kids would not leave her alone. I think poor Sophie wanted to be in her kennel to get away from all the hugging, holding and chasing. I think it cured Todd of any puppy envy- he is tired of telling Syd to put down the dog. They did bring their new Xbox- so guess what Todd wants now?
11 comments:
You are a better woman than I. No dogs here. I don't "have" to walk kids everyday--I mean, think of when it's freezing outside. I'd much rather have another kid/
It's pretty funny that you were denied. Can you really be so picky when you are the humane society? Do they want a Paris Hilton parent or what?
ps--I am all about the Wii instead of Xbox--you actually have to move!
You dodged a bullet. Mike would like a dog too but we now have two cats and two guinea pigs and I have to take care of all 4. A dog is too much work. But I know how you feel being asked all those questions and then being denied. It's like the adoption process, those who have to adopt go through the ringer and then some teenager can just get pregnant and nothing is said.
The Good News: Bringing Sophie actually helped your case in not getting a dog!
The Bad News: Now Todd wants an XBOX which could be worse than wanting a dog!
Jake got home last night and got online hoping that Todd had really gone and bought one!
Xbox or xbox 360? Let me know which one you do get. :)
Lucky for you about the dog, but the "denial" is quite hilarious! We had a dog for 9 years and had him put down last summer, no fun at all . . . no more dogs here. Good luck on the birthday. I have to admit too, the Wii is great!
That is pretty funny! Adopt a little bit older dog, like 8 months to a year. That's what we did. They are much less work and usually pottytrained!
Bret's comments on the subject: "You can be denied? You should ask the lady what she does to the dog if it doesn't get adopted."
Jillian, you are such a great writer! I love readying your blog. It's hilarious! I am so sorry about the dog! It's probably for the best, but I still can't believe you got denied. You are like the most responsible person I know! It's not like just anybody can handle four kids! I agree with your friend Jules, get the Wii.
This is hilarious! I think you should be soooo relieved!!!!
Jillian - I found your blog and loved seeing how you and your family are doing. Your four kids are darling and I really don't know how you do it! I can barely keep up with the two that I have! Check out our blog if you get a second guymonadventures.blogspot.com. We are on our way to Iowa for orthodontic school and will be there for another two years and then we are heading back to Logan for an ortho practice. It's crazy how time flies -- weren't we just at USU with no one to take care of but ourselves? Oh, the care free days that we didn't really appreciate! Take care!
-Katrina (Jacobson) Guymon
Post a Comment