Friday, May 4, 2012

A much anticipated day....but not expected!

You know from my last post I have been anticipating this day.....what I did not anticipate was how it all happened.  I assumed (silly me) that I would go into labor the same way as I had the three previous times...but this was not the case. 
By Tuesday morning I had contracted three separate nights of contractions that were 5-7 mins apart...but I knew they didn't hurt bad enough so I waited them out thinking they would get worse and we would head to the hospital by morning.  Well by morning they would stop.  So really I was confused...was I contracting? or maybe I was just too anxious to get him here. Each time I would stop contracting I would get so discouraged ...there is nothing worse then prepping for something and then it doesn't happen.  Well Tuesday morning was equally discouraging.  After a very restless sleep my contractions had stopped and I had a migraine.  But I had a dr.'s appt that day....so my hopes were up that I was dilated and on my way.  I got to the dr's after a few vomiting episodes from my migraine and the dr. tells me I am NOT dilated.  They sent me on my way with a next week appt.
I came home very discouraged and not feeling good at all.  I tried the rest of the afternoon to get rid of my migraine by laying down with three lovely little boys. (which is very relaxing).
About 2:30 I felt a slight gush of water and I got extremely confused.  I am not dilated but yet could that be my water that had just broken--- I had been contracting but nothing to be counting. So I called my dr.'s office and talked to the nurse and proceeded to explain "yes this is my 6th child but I think my water broke but I don't know" ---I felt a little stupid.  But then I got paranoid because she said all calmly " you can come over here and we can check and then if it did you can go to the hospital" ..in my mind I was thinking well why not just got to the hospital and see but she made me second guess myself because really I don't think there could be anything worse then being sent home because you peed your pants.  (not that I pee my pants often but you never ever know when you are pregnant)
And remember I was NOT dilated that morning.
I called my awesome friend & neighbor and told her "I think my water broke can she take my boys"...I am sure she was confused with "I think."
I walked into the dr. office and was still losing water...so I knew then that my water broke.  I basically walked in the door and walked out and said "it broke I am headed to the hospital".  So I drove myself to the hospital and walked in the front door to Labor & Delivery. 
I felt a little inconspicuous. The nurses all looked at me and I said with confidence
"my water just broke".  
We got checked in about 3:30 pm;  I was already contracting and dilating so I got my epidural about 5:30 and we had a baby at 7:18 pm.   Time wise it sounds like it all went smooth in and out in 4hours... but the hardest part was my migraine really made me feel crappy.  I was nauseated and hurting not only all day but through the labor and even later that night.  Those things are killers.  But we survived.
Two most memorable things:
1 )My water broke on its own....and I really was confused.
2) Todd delivered Riggins.  I wish I could have gotten a picture.  The dr. suited & gloved Todd up and he totally helped deliver him.  It was pretty cool.




I COULD not do this without my Todd.  No matter what it is overwhelming to add another to the mix..but I know there is NO way I could do it without him. Love this guy so much!


The newest member of our family:

 Riggins Thomas Sleight
7 lbs. 4 oz. 21" long.
May 1


First bath....



This is totally how I feel.....loving this little guy.
I can't tell you how blessed I feel to have 6 healthy little kids...I try so hard to live my life every day to be the mom that they need me to be to help guide them in their everyday decisions. 


You should have seen the faces on the nurses when I would tell them it was my 6th baby. Most of them could not believe it...and then the reaction was even better when the pitter patter of 10 little feet came down the hall to visit us.... 

I choose to believe that Riggins knew what he was coming to in this world he already knew how many people automatically loved him from the very moment he was in my tummy.  He had angels on the other side watching and waiting with him and a whole family here on earth waiting with anticipation. 
Life is Good!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad to know you have a blog!! Cute pictures and congratulations! I have never gone into labor on my own, so I would also be confused. :)

Hilary said...

Makes me teary... So happy for you. I think you're an amazing mom. I really admire you. Sorry about the migraine.... That sounds awful. He is darling.....

Elysha said...

How phenomenal!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I really love experiencing it with you. Sure love you Jill, and your sweet family!!

Bonnie said...

Congrats Todd and Jillian! What a cutie!

The Sommer Family said...

Ok- so you made me teary as well. I love that you told all about it, that is awesome that it happened on it's own. I was thinking of you alot this week! I wish so bad I was there to hold him and help! We love you guys- you are an amazing mom and do such a great job!

Valerie said...

STOP IT! You are making me want another baby!

Valerie said...

By the way, you look beautiful.

Michelle said...

oh Jillian, I can't wait to love that little man. He is beautiful and I already know how much the kids love him. Sammy told me all about him. You truly are blessed to have your sweet little people. You and Todd are amazing. We love you guys and cherish our friendship so much!!

raising4boys said...

You made me cry. Such a great story. So I am guessing this is the first time your water broke (I never had that happen). You guys are the cutest family and an example of always finding joy in the journey. So sorry about your headache that day - I think that was what made me cry. You are strong!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! I'm barely making it with 4. Such a beautiful baby, and how do you look so good after just having a baby?!Congrats! BTW I love his name:)

The Desiree said...

Love it! You made me cry. Babies are such miracles. Every time I can't help thinking that. Heavenly Father knows what you can handle, and you are an amazing mom. Congratulations!

Jennie said...

Congratulations! He is adorable..so happy he arrived healthy!