Today at the school it was yearbook signing day. I was walking through the halls looking for my girls about the last 15 mins of school and there were sweaty little people everywhere frantically asking others to sign there book or signing someone else's. The halls were stinky and crowded and crazy. But despite all the chaos I couldn't help but smile because every kid in that school had a smile on there face and were so excited to "sign" a book. I got to thinking what makes an autograph so cool? Why do we desperately search for that one special person(s) to sign our book to make it complete? Is it all about popularity--he who gets the most is the winner.
What should it mean to my kids?
Tonight I was looking for some old pictures for my dad and upon accident (really I did not go hunting) I found my autograph books from High School and all my grade school class pictures---some old memorabila. Needless to say I took a trip down memory lane. I read my autograph book and I laughed, smiled and even cried a little. ( I sound a little pathetic) There were entries & memories that I had forgotten about, friendships defined and even friendships that I didn't remember I had. Even some from a dear friend that was killed in a car accident a few year ago. I remember reading and rereading those entries trying to really decipher what they meant, or thinking... awesome that person wants to be friends. I don't know what I am going to do with them because how can I throw away a book of warm fuzzies. I know why I have kept them for so long. Silly....or is it?
Tonight I was looking for some old pictures for my dad and upon accident (really I did not go hunting) I found my autograph books from High School and all my grade school class pictures---some old memorabila. Needless to say I took a trip down memory lane. I read my autograph book and I laughed, smiled and even cried a little. ( I sound a little pathetic) There were entries & memories that I had forgotten about, friendships defined and even friendships that I didn't remember I had. Even some from a dear friend that was killed in a car accident a few year ago. I remember reading and rereading those entries trying to really decipher what they meant, or thinking... awesome that person wants to be friends. I don't know what I am going to do with them because how can I throw away a book of warm fuzzies. I know why I have kept them for so long. Silly....or is it?
So instead of it being a popularity contest I think an autograph is our way of holding on to something special. A friend, teacher or even a whole year. A way of trying to capture a memory of some good times. So I say get all the autographs you need to soak up the great times. Be a good friend so they can write nice things to you and you to them.
(don't just be a good friend so they write nice things about you...be a good friend because it is the right thing to do)
Of course my girls are a little young but they were just as excited as everbody else to sign yearbooks..... I can't help but transport back to my time when I see them going through their lives. I am so excited for them to make their own memories and live life to the fullest.
Of course my girls are a little young but they were just as excited as everbody else to sign yearbooks..... I can't help but transport back to my time when I see them going through their lives. I am so excited for them to make their own memories and live life to the fullest.
Ode to the autograph that holds so much meaning in lives!
No comments:
Post a Comment