Tuesday, November 8, 2011

and then there was October...

Family trip in June 2011


I have had a really hard time updating my blog...especially this post.  I have debated for weeks now on what I want to post and if I should post.  In the meantime I haven't wanted to post anything else because I don't want to overlook this and I want it to be apart of our memories but yet I really want.... I need it to be perfect.  A balance of what I feel & what my family feels. 
October was a hard month for our family and the Sleight family as a whole.  Todd's mom passed away Oct. 8. It is hard to even say it out loud. We are so sad. The kind where you think about it for a second and a big lump forms in your throat and you can't think or do anything else for a minute but just be still. A sadness that I haven't felt for a long time and to tell you the truth I didn't even know it existed anymore.  I thought I was desensitized and I wouldn't let myself feel that deep anymore.  It is funny how it bubbles up and hits you out of no where. I don't know what is harder knowing what it is like to lose a mom and watching Todd and his siblings go through it or being so sad for losing such a wonderful mother-in-law.
Todd was able to go home the beginning of October and spend some time with his mom saying goodbye. We flew our little family out for the Virginia funeral the next week- spent 3 days in Virginia and flew home to Utah for a funeral and burial. Throughout the entire trip it was amazing the tender mercies that happened.  The kids did great adjusting to the time, late flights in, early flights out, juggling here and there. I was completley amazed by the out pouring of love and service there was in Virginia.  Everywhere you turned there was somebody bringing dinner or providing something for all of our families. She was truly loved.

There are a couple of things that I particularly loved about Sharma:

1) She came to my house and did things I hated to do- I hate ironing- she would iron all the shirts in my ironing basket; I don't particularly love laundry (but you have to do it) Ironing you can hate because you can almost get away without doing it. She would wash & fold ALL my laundry when she would come to my house.
2) She would sit and read books with my kids for hours if they would do it.  She would bring them coloring pages or a puzzle and sit and do it with them - there was nothing else in the world she needing to be doing at that time then be a grandma.
3) Todd loved it when his mom would come because she would mend and fix all of his clothes.  And not once did she every make me feel bad that I couldn't/ wouldn't learn to do it for him. In fact one time we had so much for her to fix she teased us that we purposely had things for her to mend to keep in the room doing that and only that.(she's crazy if she was thinking I would give up my laundry time for todd's mending time:))  My kids bring me things with a hole or a rip and ask if Grandma Sleight can fix it when she comes.  
4) She always had compassion for my circumstance.  Whether it was a newborn baby and I wasn't getting much sleep, juggling 2,3,4 or 5 little kids, getting dinner on the table, trying to have family home evening etc. I knew the compassion was geniune because she had been there at one point in her life and she remembered what it was like. She was always trying to do what she could to make it easier for me. 

As I watched my little kids especially my girls try to come to grips and understand what this all means it brings my sadness to another level.  Sam & Syd didn't really get it until we were in Virginia. But once we were there it became real.  It became real for all of us.  And as hard as it was to watch them be so sad about Grandma- I was so glad to see them recognize the good she was in their life to be so sad to miss it. 




Some years ago after Todd's grandmother passed away (Sharma's mom) I was visiting with Sharma and she said  "Jill, I don't know how you did it after your mom died because I am a grown woman in her 50's and losing my mom has been hard.  Harder then I ever thought."
It doesn't matter how old you are. It is hard. Harder then you would have ever thought.
I have learned that my faith and trust in Heavenly Father is automatic.  I can't give you concrete answers as to why things happen.  And not just things but hard things.  But without even a question in my mind I know he knows we can do it. He is there for us and we are better because of these trials.  But it doesn't make it any less heartbreaking or any less painful.  And the pain is what is so hard.  I am sad for Todd, Todd' siblings and Todd's dad. 
We love you Grandma Sleight. Our lives have been blessed and influenced for the better.  We will see you again and until then....

10 comments:

Nicole said...

She sounds like such an amazing woman. I am so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I think you wrote it perfectly. Thank goodness for the knowledge of the Gospel. Hugs to your family!

Kellie said...

OH JIllian, sorry to hear about the tough month. She sounded like a beautiful and great mom. Loved what you had to say.

LaMar said...

Thank you, Jillian. We love you.

The Desiree said...

Oh sweetie I am so sorry to hear about this. Tell Todd I am sorry. Life is so unfair sometimes. You are a better person than I am, I have a tendency to get angry. You are just so cute, and so is your family. Bless you!

Michelle said...

You wrote this just perfect jillian. What a hard thing to deal with and your sweet family has dealt with this sadness with grace.

Carrie said...

I cried and cried reading this post. It was beautiful. I was hoping you would do it. I actually read this a few days ago...and didn't know how to comment. I still don't. I feel so much sadness for you all ~ You, Todd, your kids, Craig, Adri, their kids, Nicole and her future kids, and Pres. Sleight. I heard lots about the funeral ~ it sounds beautiful..wish I could have been there. I've prayed for you all.

Jennie said...

Loss of a loved one is such a hard thing in this life - I am so sorry for your family! I hope your family continues to feel the comfort of knowing she is home. Take care! Beautiful post.

Taylor's said...

To be completely honest, I have been waiting for this post.

Jill, you write so well about your Mother in law. She is one special person I will remember for the rest of my life. I was so glad that Michael was able to make it to the funeral services for our entire family.

My heart breaks for all of you. I hope that the prayers boyd you and the family up and just think - her work is not done - she will be mending from the other side (maybe not the same kind of mending though).

We love you all so much.

Valerie said...

I am so out of touch. This is when I hate being so far away! I wish I was there to cry it out with you...but I am sure we will shed tears together next summer with the girls :)
Your post was beautiful and you wrote it perfectly. It totally made me cry. Just thinking about you guys and all you've been through - you are so strong! Sometimes life just isn't fair, and I think you both losing your moms qualifies you to say that...but you will survive. Of course you will. You rock.